It can feel like a long month, but secretly I quite like January. It’s an opportunity to get things in order, hibernate and stay cosy and indulge in some of life’s quieter activities.
Here are a few of the things that I’ve been doing to enjoy the first month of the year.
- Spend a few hours doing a good declutter ….. for me this is the best therapy. As I get that little bit older, I’ve discovered that I enjoy owning less – not only does it clear my mind, but it makes me appreciate what I decide to hold on to. In my case, less is definitely more. And so I’ve finally started to tackle the huge amount of cards and keepsakes that I’ve accumulated over the years. I can’t hold on to it all, so it’s time to part company with most of it. Thankfully my other half bought me this beautiful Liberty Print Mini Suitcase for Christmas, so I am diligently working my way through my ‘stuff’ and only my most treasured items will make it into this little case.
2. Absorb myself in a good read….. I’m currently reading ‘Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House’ , a delightfully funny book about a couple who buy their dream home in the country but are beset by problems from the very beginning. I have a very old copy of the book from when it was published in 1947 and not only is the book a lovely read but it is beautifully illustrated too. The book was turned into a movie in 1948 starring Cary Grant – definitely worth a watch if you enjoy a good comedy and January seems like a good month for some laughter. You can find out more here.
3.Listen to some old tunes….. and it just has to be George Michael with some Wham thrown in for good measure. He was the soundtrack to my teenage years and I have been happily bopping round the kitchen to some of his classics. A great way to see off the January blues.
4. Zone out with a good box set….. I’ve just finished watching Series 1 of The Crown on Netflix. I started watching it more by chance than anything but it quickly grabbed my attention. Beautifully acted and with great attention to period detail, it gives a fascinating insight into the early reign of Queen Elizabeth II and everything she had to contend with as a young monarch. Next I am moving on to The Affair..quite a change of pace I imagine but I have high hopes that it will be worth watching – the perfect excuse to snuggle down on the sofa when the snow arrives and it is due to arrive very soon !
5.Observe nature…..I always feel better once I’ve spent a bit of time outside -it doesn’t have to be long, just time enough to get some fresh air and watch the clouds rolling by, knowing that a bit of colour will appear in the garden soon. The ever hardy primulas are already starting to pop up and their happy yellow faces are a welcome sight.
6. Reconnect with my Fitbit…..I’ve been quite attached to my Fitbit this past year but with a recent spell in hospital I lost interest. Now, however, I’m using it to try and get my fitness back to what it was. I was easily doing 10-12,000 steps a day, now I’m lucky if I manage 5,000 but it’s a challenge I am definitely up for.
7. Indulge in a little bit of retail therapy…..a little bit of what you fancy does you good and I fancy some shoes. I spotted these while browsing the Marks and Spencer website and it was one of those ‘ I have to have them’ moments. It might be while before I can wear them but I can wait ! More details here.
Hope you are enjoying January wherever you are. I’d love to hear your tips and ideas on how to enjoy this quiet month – so feel free to leave a comment.